Sunday, March 18, 2007

You Know You Are Getting Old When...

people gasp when you say your age. It sounds like a bad birthday card, but it happened.

I met up with some friends on Friday to celebrate three birthdays—mine was one of them. I was talking to someone when I realized that the "birthday girls" were being asked how old we were turning. Maria and Anna had answered already, but I didn't hear their responses. I already knew that I was the oldest, although not the only person in their 30s, so I prepared myself for some surprised reactions. When I said, "Thirty-five, " people actually gasped. I'm pleased that I look younger, but the gasping just can't help but make you feel different from those who uttered the exclamations.

Luckily this did not affect how much I enjoyed the lunch. The staff at La Tasca was very nice: they were helpful and did not rush us. The food was fine: some things were a bit cold and flavors were mild where I would expect strong or spicy. The sangria, however, is worth going back for. Tialda, Wakako and Yuri presented us with very sweet gifts: tulips, handmade cards and stylish tote-bags.

M* and I repeatedly say how fortunate (and surprised) we are that his classmates and their partners are such nice people. They Judge MBA generally fosters a collaborative, instead of a competitive, atmosphere. While it wasn't the same as celebrating with my friends in Los Angeles, the lunch helped make it feel like my birthday actually passed.

No comments: