Saturday, March 03, 2007

Places We Shop: Daily Bread Co-operative

Without Google, I never would have found the Daily Bread Co-operative. It's in the northern part of the city, just inside the A14 freeway and about 200 feet from a sometimes-busy road: Kings Hedges. If you looked towards the Daily Bread from Kings Hedges, you'd spy a few nondescript buildings with no sign indicating a food store. An interesting fact about this establishment that I would not have known if I had not visited their web site—it is a Christian workers cooperative which "looks at what the Bible says about how (they) should run a business."


My Google search was for gluten-free in Cambridge. Daily Bread sells high-quality, low-price gluten-free flours: brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour. I also pick-up almond milk (four times as expensive as in the US and hard to find), bulk brown rice, bulk muesli, chickpea flour, corn meal, lentils, split peas, nuts, dried fruit and the like. The distance is about 7 1/2 miles roundtrip, so I only go about twice a month. The area isn't bad, but it's a touch sketchy. A skanky teenager on a bike once nicely informed me that he'd "do me." Another time, two cars were drag racing on Kings Hedges and one drove over a set-of spikes as he was speeding on the wrong side of the street. Luckily his tires blew out and stopped him: I was only 40 feet or so in front of him.

Today there was a pleasant surprise: a rainbow.


No comments: