Monday, October 01, 2007

Copenhagen--First Impression

Not the New Yorker that I'm used to.

While waiting for M* to return from his interview, I walked from our hotel to the Strøget, which is a series of streets known for good shopping. Well, I should have expected globalization to have left its mark on Copenhagen, and I, unfortunately, saw mainly stores that one can find in most large cities: Zara, Urban Outfitters, Ecco, H&M.

The Strøget begins with a 7-11 on one corner and a Burger King on the other.

I had read or heard that Copenhagen was a lot like Amsterdam, and I can see it a bit in the architecture of the older buildings. However, it's Amsterdam with fewer canals, more advertisements and neon signs, and a 7-11 or American fast food establishment (McDonalds, Burger King, KFC) in every block. I'm expecting that once we explore more of the city, we'll discover a more authentic Copenhagen.

Ads like these that cover soulless office buildings in Los Angeles--that I can handle. It's such a shame that these lovely, historic buildings are used to hock mobile phones, airlines and financial services.

On another note, our hotel (AXEL Hotel Guldsmeden) is conveniently located by the central train station and Tivoli Gardens. However, the famous gardens are closed until 12 October when they reopen completely decorated for Halloween.

Tivoli Gardens decorated for Halloween. Getting past the gate will have to wait for another visit.

No comments: