Friday, February 02, 2007

Volunteering at Shape East

I began my volunteer stint at Shape East yesterday. There are about six people who work in the office; only one is full-time. The staff, only four present, were very grateful of my helping out. I was looking forward to being in a professional environment again, and I enjoyed getting slightly dressed up for my first day. Yet, I would have been better served by jeans and a t-shirt than my skirt, tights and delicately woven wool top: my task was to rearrange a storage closet by organizing like items and deciding what items could be disposed of. I even went back today to finish-up. My task was a reminder of the nature of volunteer work (being assigned to non-mission critical tasks that paid staff do not have time for) and how small, start-up non-profits do not have the budgets to hire extra help. Next week I get a bump up: I'm working on a database, including the training of office staff.

No comments: