Monday, January 15, 2007

Things I Like: Daily Crossword Puzzles at Dictionary.com


Bridge and crossword puzzles are two performance-enhancing brain activities I've desired to incorporate into my schedule. One of my grandmothers was an avid solver of crossword puzzles; in the days before the Internet, we used to give her crossword puzzle dictionaries for Christmas. My other grandmother is devoted to her Wednesday bridge games; she and her partner plan their trips to ensure minimal Wednesdays away from Washington, DC. My sister took up crossword puzzles years ago, and, when I visit her, I enviously watch her quickly complete the Washington Post's daily puzzle.

The other day I was looking up a definition at Dictionary.com, and I noticed that they now offer a daily crossword puzzle. This puzzle solves the problem that has plagued my past attempts to become a regular crossword puzzler: my inability to complete one and the ensuing frustration. If you play at Dictionary.com's regular skill level, the cell turns red if you enter the wrong letter, and you can ask for a letter, word or puzzle to be solved. My goal is to play at a higher level, but it's a rewarding and educational way to begin. However, resisting the temptation to have a letter solved is easier than withstanding the draw of Google's power to quickly provide me with arcane knowledge (that Zeno of Elea was the Greek philosopher famous for posing so-called paradoxes which challenged mathematicians for many centuries, e.g.).

No comments: