Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Sarah Wigglesworth- Sustainable Solutions Lecture

I've been hoping to find a way to volunteer or partake in some training related to sustainable building or farming. I know that it's trendy right now to be concerned with such things, but I do believe that there is some career in these areas that I would be happy pursuing when we settle somewhere after M* is done school. Since I have the time now, thought it would be good to follow through with this. It did take me a bit of online research to find some opportunities. One is with the group Shape East which is located in Cambridge and "aims to engage the public in the issues affecting the local built environment. Shape East’s programme includes workshops, interactive events, exhibitions, talks, training and on-line resources."

They hosted a lecture last night, which I attended, by architect Sarah Wigglesworth (ok, her name makes me giggle because my sister calls her dog, Chester, "Mr Pigglesworth," and I always think of that). She came across as passionate, energetic, educated and, above all, creative. All of her work is not sustainable, which she attributed in part to clients' desire to be more focused on cost than design and sustainability. In response to a question, she touted legistlation as the only way to get people to focus on sustainability and design. The American in me just thought, "Oh God that's the last thing you want. Governement=good, sustainable design regardless of cost? I just don't see it." Afterwards I realized that it was just the way that she couched her response in the idea that cost shouldn't be the main focus. It was a reminder of how pre-fab has become a wealthy person's domain. I didn't want to hear that sustainability and good design can only exist in absence of a tight budget. That just sounded so classist. However, she never said that good design had to cost a lot, just that it would not often be the cheapest bid. Also, she did point out that sustainable buildings often do cost more up front but end up saving money in the long term through reduced energy costs.

Her overall philosophy appealed to me. She does a lot research about and for her clients, and has an artistic, creative sensibility in terms of seeing the connection between design and expected use. A number of her projects have incorporated ideas inspired by artists and she has collaborated with artists on a few projects. She made me laugh when she described the supports that she used for her project know as "The Straw House." It was the 1990s, and she was tired of architects being into minimalism - skinny design is how I think she termed it. So as a statement, they made these very large supports made from discarded concrete.

Another thing that I really liked about her - she used great words such as diaphanous and detritus that I rarely see written and almost never hear used in conversation.

I'm suppose to be in touch with Shape East this week to learn more about volunteer opportunities. Hopefully something interesting will come of it.

No comments: