Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Loves - bacon and donkeys

Shawn, quite a foodie, sent me the transcripts of "Life on the Farm." It's a short audio segment on KUSP hosted by Andrew Griffin of Mariquita Farm, and it's about - well, life on the farm. Shawn wrote, "My food-writer friend sent this to me. All of the items are good but scroll down and check out the pork one at the bottom."

"I was invited to a pot luck barbeque so I brought a goat. Another guest brought a pig. As the animals turned on the spit a crowd gathered to take in the spectacle. The laymen were impressed, but there were a number of professional chefs present and they fell to murmuring. And there was something odd to behold; the goat was fatter than the pig!"
....
"Traditionally, a spit roasted pig bastes itself as the carcass turns
over the heat, but this animal had no fat to render. The professional chefs present among the guests began asking each other the kinds of questions that some small scale livestock producers might like to
answer like, "where can we get old fashioned, heirloom swine?" Saving endangered heirloom livestock varieties is an issue the whole eating public ought to take seriously. I'd like to hear a politically motivated folk singer pick up a guitar and start singing out for all The People to hear, "Oh, where have all the fat pigs gone?" " (copyright 2006 Andy Griffin - bolding is mine) (complete audio)

When I searched the web for him, I found another site of his postings. It included this gem.

"Prima Donna-key

Some men reach middle age and react by spending lots of money on sports cars and trophy wives. Not me. For my forty seventh birthday, I stayed with my wife and bought myself a pregnant donkey. A perfect mid-life crisis car like the Porsche 911 Turbo sells for one hundred twenty two thousand, nine hundred dollars M.S.R.P, but my donkey only cost me one hundred and fifty dollars. By my calculation I saved myself one hundred twenty two thousand, seven hundred and fifty dollars, plus a whole lot of alimony, but people still question my judgement. “What’s the donkey good for?” they ask. Read more"

No comments: